Tuesday, May 6, 2008

OPEN: WMT Triple Calendar May/Jun 50 put,55 put,60 call

Got part of this trade from someone in my trade group:

In looking at the double calendar that Karl put on (May/Jun 55 puts & 60 calls), I got the following greeks:

Delta 6.76
Theta 3.35
Vega 7.85


Now I added a third calendar (May/Jun 50 put) for a little downside protection and to make the trade delta neutral with maximum theta and vega...This is what i got:


Delta 1.22
Theta 3.95
Vega 10.51


Now I am still grasping the use of greeks with all trades, so in my mind, the triple calendar would be more delta neutral with theta around 3 times more than the delta, and even higher vega, since I want volat. to increase. All this for only and extra $0.23.

I ended up getting filled as follows:
May/Jun 50 puts for $0.19 debit
May/Jun 55 puts for $0.61 debit
May/Jun 60 calls for $0.38 debit

Total cost basis= $1.18

BTW, I too would be getting out before earnings so I have 7 days so my plan is to get out once volatility is high 1 or 2 days before earnings.

No comments: